A Perfect Wedding Speech
At a Swedish wedding, anyone can make a speech. Anyone can grab the microphone and sing a song, jump up with an instrument, start a sketch or request a projector for a slide show. One of the biggest differences in this compared to the British culture is that nobody’s doing it because they ‘have to’, only if they want to.
Not that this difference necessarily makes for better speeches!
It certainly means however that Swedes have been exposed to a vastly greater number of speeches, and every now and then there’s one that stands out of the crowd. A perfect wedding speech.
Like this one.
Which in true Swedish fashion, also means handing over a bag full of props to the bride and groom afterwards.
A survival kit for newlyweds
A piece of a jigsaw puzzle
– Remember that you fit together and complement each other.
A piece of golden thread
– It’s your love that binds you together.
A golden coin
– You are valuable. Value each other.
– Dare to make mistakes, and accept each others mistakes.
A paper clip
– Stay together, in thick and thin.
An elastic band
– Be flexible and give a little. Encourage each other to grow.
– Share kind words with each other.
– When someone’s in pain, take care of each other.
– In dark times, remember there’s a light at the end of the tunnel.
– Help each other to be strong when you need to be.
The page of a book
– Learn from each other
– Remember to laugh and and have fun together
– Remember that you are twined together.
The sentiments are beautiful aren’t they.
Are you this for each other? Would you add any?