Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower & Beets, Simple Perfection
It doesn’t get simpler than this delicious Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower and Beets. My Little Man loves it & it’s perfect to have two trays in the oven at once, one for baby, one for me! The secret to the phenomenal flavour of this simple dish is all in the parmesan! Great for both a side dish, or a vegetarian main – and perfect if you’re cutting out carbohydrates.
These quantities suit 2 for a main dish, or 4 for a side dish (if you’re particularly fond of any of the ingredients – go ahead and throw in a bit more!):
Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower & Beets
– 1 Cauliflower head
– 4-6 Beetroots
– 2 large handfulls of garden peas (1 1/2 cups) – fresh or frozen
– 100g (2 1/2 dl/ 1 cup) grated parmesan cheese
– Sea salt and pepper to season
1. Peal and chop beetroots into 2 1/2 cm (1 inch) chunks. Boil in a pan of water 10 minutes or so until they start to soften. Put on oven at 180C/ 360F.
2. Chop Cauliflower into small chunks about the same size as the beetroots. Add them to the pan of boiling beetroots after 5 minutes (so they’re going to boil about 5 minutes less than the beetroots).
3. Drain the beetroots and cauliflower and pour into an oven proof dish. Pour over fresh garden pees.
4. Season with sea salt and fresh ground pepper – if it’s for you; just a little pepper if it’s for your baby. Then cover with a generous helping of grated parmesan cheese.
5. Pop it into the oven (180C/360F) for 20-30 minutes, until the parmesan has a nice colour to it – this gives the dish a crisp top which complements perfectly the softness of the vegetables. I’m British so I like to leave it in the oven a little longer… That’s a matter of personal preference 😉
…If it’s for baby, blend, serve and divide out portions for the freezer.
I’ve read that beetroots (or beets) are recommended in baby food from 8-10 months. If your baby’s younger you can just skip them and go with the Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower and Pees. My Little Boy wolfed it down!
For more delicious recipes, check out Roasted Vegetable, Feta & Walnut Salad with Sun Dried Tomato Pesto
A heartwarming Bouillabaisse Soup with homemade Saffron Aioli
And don’t miss the Californian Eggplant & Halloumi Burgers