Best Loved Chicken Pie
If we’re talking comfort food; real, wonderful, homely cooking, comfort food, Chicken Pie is right up there on my top 10 list. Served with roasted potato & carrot wedges… Easy to make, ideal for leftovers, and a favorite with kids too.
This recipe is inspired by the New Better Homes and Gardens Cook Book, available here.
– 1 medium onion
– 2 medium leeks
– 3 stalks of celery
– 1 red pepper
– 140g (5oz) bacon pieces
– 300g (2 cups) frozen garden peas
– 250g (2 cups) chopped cooked chicken
– 2 tbsp butter
– 1 tbsp sage
– 1 tbsp thyme
– 400ml (1 1/2 cups) chicken stock
– 250ml (1 cup) light cream
– 1 egg
If you’re missing any of the ingredients, just adding some extra of something else works great too!
1. Start with the pastry, below.
2. Finely chop the onions, leeks, celery, sweet pepper and mushrooms. Melt the butter in a large pan, and cook the chopped vegetables, together with the bacon over a medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
3. Stir the flour through the cooked vegetables and bacon, then add the chicken stock, cream, 4-5 grinds of black pepper, the sage and thyme – crush the herbs in a mortal or between your fingers and thumb as you add them.
4. Continue to cook and stir over a medium heat until thick and bubbly (about 15 minutes). Stir in the peas and the chicken, and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Don’t forget to give it a taste and see if you want to add any extra salt, pepper or herbs.
5. Pour the filling into a 2 litre/ 2 quart baking dish; about 32 x 23 x 5 cm (13 x 9 x 2 inch) or equivalent.
6. Lay the pastry over the filling and use a fork to press the edges into the dish. Use a sharp knife to cut 8 or so slits into the pastry. Beat the egg and brush over the pastry before putting the tray into the oven.
7. Bake uncovered for 30-35 minutes at 200C /400F until the crust is golden brown.
For the pastry:
– 160g (1 1/4 cups) wholemeal flour (or a combination of white and wholemeal flour)
– 1/4 tsp salt
– 75g (1/3 cup) butter softened (not melted!)
– 4-5 tbsp water
1. Combine the flour and salt.
2. Using a pasty blender (or potato masher) cut in the softened butter until the pieces are about pea-sized. The point here is to have minimal contact with the flour and butter, so no touching!
3. Sprinkle 1 tbsp of water at a time over small sections of the mix. Toss the small sections of flour through the water with a fork and push the moistened dough to the side. Repeat with the remaining tablespoons of water until all of the dough is moistened.
4. Use your hands to form a ball of the dough, and place in the fridge (about 25 minutes) until ready to use.
5. When the filling is ready, roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface into a 32 x 23 cm (13 x 9 inch) rectangle. There’ll be a little extra dough available if you want to cut out any fun shapes to decorate your pie.
Serve the Chicken Pie with roasted potato and carrot wedges & a fresh green salad – delicious!
For more delicious recipes, check out Grilled Beef, Squash Medley and Tomatillo Salsa
A Rich, Musty, Bolognese – and 5 meals to turn it into.