Gluten Free Apple Cinnamon Seed Crackers
Crisp & delicious.These apple cinnamon seed crackers are a perfect snack and a wonderful compliment to any cheese platter. Naturally sweetened and subtly flavored with a cinnamon and homemade applesauce they’ll have you coming back for more. Great for breakfast, and lunch boxes. Melt some dark chocolate (at least 70% cacao) over them and you just made yourself a whole tray of healthy biscuits.
Basic ’flour’ mix – makes about 1 liter (4 1/4 cups):
120 g cashew nuts (2 dl, ¾ cup)
120 g sweet almonds (2 dl, ¾ cup)
75 g dried grated coconut (2 dl, ¾ cup)
100 g sunflower seeds (1 ½ dl, 2/3 cup)
75 g linseeds (1 ½ dl, 2/3 cup)
50 g sesame seeds (1 dl, ½ cup minus 2 tbsp)
For a batch of 50 Gluten Free Apple Cinnamon Seed Crackers:
(2 oven trays)
240 g of the basic ’flour’ mix above (4 dl, 1 2/3 cups)
200 g unsweetened applesauce (2 dl, ¾ cup)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 ½ tsp baking powder
Just less than 1 tsp salt (4 ml)
1. Preheat the oven to 175°C/ 350°F.
2. Mix all the ingredients for the basic ’flour’ mix with a hand mixer until you have ’quite’ a smooth basic ’flour’.
3. Combine 240 g of the ’flour’ with the egg, applesauce, cinnamon, baking powder and salt and leave the mix to stand for a few minutes.
4. Cover two baking trays with baking paper and divide the mix between the two trays. Spread out the mix with a knife into a thin layer, as thin as you can without holes in it.
5. Bake in the middle of the oven for about 10 minutes, until it the cracker gets a slightly golden colour.
6. Take the trays out of the oven and turn the temperature down to 50°C/ 125°F. Use a sharp knife (or pizza cutter) to cut each sheet of crackers into about 25 pieces.
7. Bake the crackers in the middle of the oven for about 1 hour, until they are hard and crispy.
Gluten Free apple cinnamon seed crackers:
These beauties have no grains, carbs, gluten, lactose or added sugar. Perfect treats for any resolutions!
What healthy snacks do you like to munch on?
For other gluten free/ no carb recipes, check out Chili Roasted Butternut Squash