Gluten Free Roasted Hazelnut Biscuits topped with a Lavender Infused Dark Chocolate Ganache
This deliciously refined symphony of flavors is perfect for a dinner party or beautiful treat. Roasted hazelnut, almond and toasted fennel seed biscuits topped with a silky smooth lavender infused dark chocolate ganache. Gluten free. No added sugar. A sinless addition to your mid morning coffee.
These biscuits are the result of 36 hours of recipe development and experimentation, the fifth batch and it’s nailed – Though Miss 7’s fully enjoyed every round!
Roasted Hazelnut, Almond & Fennel Seed Biscuit Base:
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
65 g roasted hazelnuts (1 dl; just less than 1/2 cup)
65 g almonds (1 dl; just less than 1/2 cup)
50 g unsalted butter (1/4 cup)
a pinch of salt
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180 C /350 F, and line a 20 x 20 cm baking dish or equivalent (8 x 8 inch) with baking paper. Spread a single layer of hazelnuts at one end of the tray and almonds at the other. Roast in the oven for 10 minutes or until the nuts are aromatic and lightly toasted. Remove from the oven tray to cool. Once cool enough to handle, you can gently rub the hazelnuts together in a clean tea towel to remove the skins which can otherwise make the nuts taste bitter.
2. Toast the fennel seeds in a small, heavy skillet over medium-high heat for about 4 minutes until fragrant (watching carefully, so they don’t burn). Then use a spice grinder or mini-food processor to grind to a fine powder. Set aside.
– TIP: Although the recipe only calls for 1/2 tsp, I roast & grind 2 tsp and keep the extra for other recipes.
3. Grind the roasted hazelnuts and almonds in a food processor until they’re crumbly. Stir in the powdered fennel seeds and a pinch of salt.
4. Melt the butter in a small, heavy saucepan, over a medium heat. Once melted, add it slowly to the blended nuts, enough until the mixture is combined and holds together.
5. Spread out the mixture into the baking dish and bake in the oven for 10 minutes, until slightly golden.
6. Set aside to cool.
Dark Chocolate Lavender Ganache
100 ml heavy cream (1 dl; just less than 1/2 cup)
3 tsp unsalted butter
1 tsp dried lavender
130 g dark chocolate – 70% cocoa (4 ½ oz)
7. Bring the cream and butter to the boil in a small, heavy saucepan, over medium-high heat. Once boiling, remove from the heat and stir in the lavender. Cover and steep for 10 minutes.
8. Grind the chocolate to a fine powder in a food processor and pour it into a medium sized, heat resistant bowl.
9. Strain the lavender infused cream into the chocolate, pressing on the solids in the strainer with the back of a spoon. Discard any solids remaining in the strainer.
10. Stir the chocolate mixture until you have a smooth ganache.
11. Pour the ganache over the roasted hazelnut biscuit base. Cover and chill in the fridge for a couple of hours.
12. Cut into pieces and voila!
Ready to enjoy.